Sunday, September 09, 2007

Meat Sydney. . .

So this was my first assignment for Ideas and Imagery, a class where we discuss . . . ideas . . . and imagery. I was to create a self-portrait in the odd style of Arcimboldo, using a collage-type styling, and the objects I used were to be symbolic of my person.
Of course I chose meat.
Why, you ask? Because: we are all made of meat. Also, we were supposed to shy away from any imagery that was too obvious or that the symbolism of would be too literal. I thought it symbolic of my incessant need to define things too literally for comedic and ironic effect.
I find it a little disturbing, but I'm happy with the end result. The photograph isn't great - I still haven't erased the graphite lines of my original sketch away, and I have a few more edges to glue down. But I think this is an excellent representation of what 4 hours, a couple of beers, and a fat stack of grocer's flyers can bring out.
I used fried meats foods for my hair, and roasted meats for my top. My face is made from raw meats and white meats. Also. . .I used sole for my eye. Because. . . the eyes are windows to the . . . sole?!?! AHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Also, my eyelids are sausages. Hurrah!
Aside from being kind of lumpy - and . . .y'know. . . meaty. . .I think it looks like me for the most part. I'm nervous about the mark I will receive on it, but I'm more afraid of someone else having used meat! (We were given complete freedom to use whatever we wanted...)
The whole thing measures 14" by 17". I like it more every time I look at it.

2 comments:

John said...

Wow you did a really good job on this. I couldn't imagine it coming out this well, fantastic!

I have to say that as awesome as it is, it's also pretty creepy. It's like you have no skin on your face. Gross!

Syd said...

Yeah, thanks :)
I'm actually really excited to hand it in! Come on tomorrow, get here!!!!